Who is Sunil Dutt ?
Sunil Dutt or Balraj Dutt was an Indian movie actor, producer, director and politician born on 6 June 1929 in Jhelum, Punjab, British India and died on 25 May 2005 in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. He was the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports in the Manmohan Singh government (2004–2005). He was honoured with the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1968.
|Real Name||Balraj Dutt|
|Profession||Actor, Producer, Director and Politician|
|Political Party||Indian National Congress (INC)|
|Political Journey||- In 1984, joined Indian National Congress.
- In 1984, elected to the Lok Sabha for the first time from Mumbai North West.
- He retained his Lok Sabha seats in 1989 and 1991 elections.
- He didn't contest Lok Sabha Elections in 1996 and 1998 due to a case against his son Sanjay Dutt.
- He retained his Lok Sabha seat in 1999, 2000 and 2004 elections.
- In 2004, he was appointed the Minister of Youth Affairs and Sports in the Manmohan Singh Government.
|Date of Birth||6 June 1930|
|Age (as on 25 May 2005)||74 Years|
|Birth Place||Khurd Village, Jhelum, Punjab Province, British India|
|Date of Death||25 May 2005|
|Place of Death||At his residence in Bandra, Mumbai, India|
|Hometown||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
|Zodiac Sign/Sun Sign||Gemini|
|Net Worth (Approx.)||₹ 20 Crore INR (as in 2004)|
In 1963 for Best Actor Award in Mujhe Jeene Do
In 1965 for Best Actor Award in Khandan
In 1995 for Lifetime Achievement Award
In 1964 National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Hindi for Yaadein
In 1968 Padma Shri
In 2005 Phalke Ratna Award by the Dadasaheb Phalke Academy.
and many more
|Height (Approx.)||in centimeters: 178 cm
in meters: 1.78 m
in feet inches: 5’ 10”
|Weight (Approx.)||in kilograms: 74 kgs
in pounds: 163 lbs
|Eye Colour||Dark Brown|
|Cars Collection||Not Known|
|Properties/Homes/Address||8-West, Apsara Co-Operative Housing Society Ltd., 61-B, Shrimati Nargis Dutt Road, Palli Hill, Bandra (West), Mumbai:400050|
|Educational Qualification||B.A (Hons.) in History in 1954 from Jai Hind College Bombay (now Mumbai)|
|College/University||Jai Hind College, Mumbai, India|
|Debut||Hindi Film: Railway Platform (1955)
Punjabi Film: Man Jeete Jag Jeet (1973)
Director: Yaadein (1964)
Producer: Man Ka Meet (1968)
|Last Film||Munna Bhai M.B.B.S. (2003)
|Favourite Writer||Aghajani Kashmeri|
|Favourite Food||Dum Chicken|
|Hobbies/ Interests||Doing Philanthropy, Listening to Music|
|Likes/Dislikes||Likes: Not Known
Dislikes: Not Known
|Family||Father: Diwan Raghunath Dutt
Mother: Kulwantidevi Dutt
Brother: Som Dutt (actor)
Sister: Raj Rani Bali
|Marital Status||Married (at the time of death)|
|Wife/Spouse||Late Nargis Dutt
|Marriage Date||11 March 1958|
|Children(s)||Son: Sanjay Dutt
Daughters: Priya Dutt, Namrata Dutt
Some Lesser Known Facts about Sunil Dutt
- He was born name as Balraj Dutt in Khurd Village of Jhelum District (Punjab Province, British India).
- Sunil’s father died when he was just 5 years old.
- At the age of 18, he saw Hindu-Muslim riots across the country.
- His entire family was saved by a Muslim named Yakub, who had been a friend of his father.
- His family resettled in a small village named Mandauli near the bank of River Yamuna in Yamuna Nagar, Punjab (now in Haryana).
- Later, he moved to Lucknow, where he spent a long time in Aminabad Galli.
- After graduating from Jai Hind College in Bombay (now Mumbai), he worked at the city’s BEST Transport division.
- He also worked in Radio as an RJ on the Hindi Service of Radio Ceylon, South Asia’s oldest Radio Station.
- He made his debut in the Hindi Film with Railway Platform in 1955.
- He gain his fame after co-starring with Nargis in the 1957 Blockbuster Mother India.
- According to reports, there was a huge fire on the set of Mother India and Nargis was caught in that and it was Sunil Dutt who braved the furious fire to save Nargis and thereby won her heart.
- Before Jeteendra, Sunil Dutt was a favorite actor of South in the 60’s
- He Survived a plane crash in 2001.
- He walked as padyatra from Mumbai to Amritsar for peace in Punjab.
- He launched his son Sanjay Dutt with the 1981 film Rocky, which became a hit at the Box-Office. However, shortly before the film’s release, his wife, Nargis, died of Pancreatic Cancer.
- In the memory of his beloved wife, Sunil Dutt founded the Nargis Dutt Foundation for the cure of cancer patients.
- He also sponsored the ‘India Project’ (an organization similar to ‘Operation Smile’ for the treatment of children with facial deformities).
- In 1982, Maharashtra Government appointed him the ‘Sheriff of Mumbai’ for a year.
- In 1988, he walked from Nagasaki to Hiroshima in Japan to appeal for global demilitarization.
- He won Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award in 1995 for his contribution to the Indian Film Industry.
- He died of a heart attack at his residence in Mumbai on 25 May 2005. His daughter, Priya Dutt, contested his Parliament seat and won that.
- He was honored with Padma Shri by the Government of India.
- Does Sunil Dutt Smoke ? Not Known!
- Does Sunil Dutt Drink Alcohol ? Not Known!